Re: Have configure complain about unknown options

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Have configure complain about unknown options
Date: 2006-05-09 12:00:34
Lists: pgsql-patches

Am Dienstag, 9. Mai 2006 10:55 schrieb Martijn van Oosterhout:
> Can you explain why? Unknown options don't do anything, so having users
> remove them seems like a good move.

Build system frameworks assume that they can pass any option and that unknown
options will be ignored. This grew out of the old Cygnus GNU megatree but as
you saw it is also used by package building frameworks like CDBS. In fact,
if we one day separate the PLs into separate source tarballs, I'd like to set
up a similar megatree system so building everything becomes easier.

I don't object to having a strict mode or printing warnings or printing a
summary at the end, but we are not in a position to redefine build system
practice.

--
Peter Eisentraut