Re: Is PostgreSQL an easy choice for a large CMS?

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Tony Lausin <tonylausin(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is PostgreSQL an easy choice for a large CMS?
Date: 2006-05-04 19:58:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 09:41:57AM -0700, Tony Lausin wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. This is what I have so far:
>
> I require an open source DBMS because I want to avoid being locked
> into a particular vendor, especially one that will send me a big bill.
> That leaves me with MySQL, PostgreSQL (my preference), Firebird, and

(disclosure: I work for a company that provides PostgreSQL support)

Actually, I believe that avoiding vendor lock-in eliminates MySQL and
possibly Firebird from the list. Last time I looked your only choice for
MySQL support was MySQL AB. PostgreSQL on the other hand provides a
number of options, with Command Prompt and Pervasive probably being the
most obvious in the US (I'm not sure if any of the other commercial
players offer support on community PostgreSQL). I think Sun also
provides some form of support, though I'm not sure of the details.