Re: Is a SERIAL column a "black box", or not?

From: mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is a SERIAL column a "black box", or not?
Date: 2006-04-29 23:41:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 05:54:19PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> In short, I think there's a reasonably good case to be made for losing the
> hidden dependency and re-adopting the viewpoint that saying SERIAL is
> *exactly* the same as making a sequence and then making a default
> expression that uses the sequence. Nothing behind the curtain.
>
> Comments, other opinions?

I find it user-unfriendly that I must grant select/update to the
SERIAL, separate than from the table. I don't really see anything
friendly about treating the object as separate.

I do see the benefits with regard to simplified implementation, and
flexibility.

As a compromise, I could see either choice being correct. I don't
see either direction as being both user friendly and simple.

Cheers,
mark

--
mark(at)mielke(dot)cc / markm(at)ncf(dot)ca / markm(at)nortel(dot)com __________________________
. . _ ._ . . .__ . . ._. .__ . . . .__ | Neighbourhood Coder

and in the darkness bind them...

http://mark.mielke.cc/