Re: PGAdmin3 Permisions

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Andrej Ricnik-Bay <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGAdmin3 Permisions
Date: 2006-04-29 21:56:51
Lists: pgsql-novice

> > hi all,
> Hi
>
> > i'm in the process of moving my development (or at
> > least some of it, long story), over to linux. i'm
> > using simply mepis (debian based). postesql and
> > pgadmin were installed. root owns pgadmin bu
> default.
> > do i want to change ownership away from root to
> my
> > normal user or should i leave it as root?
> Typically installed programs are owned by root, and
> you should leave it that way. Only if for some odd
> reason
> pgadmin didn't work for you you'd want to change the
> ownership (not without checking the perms first).

i'm not too experienced with the permissions issue,
but it seems like my login user should be able to
execute pgadmin3 since "others" are allowed to execute
the file.

however, when i'm logged in as a user and try to open
pgadmin3, i get the following error:

An error has occured:

can't open file
'/usr/share/mimelnk/audio/x-ms-wax.desktop' (error 13:
Permission denied)

initially, i thought it was a permissions issue with
the executable, but now that i read the error message
and looked at the permissions, i don't think that is
the problem.

any dieas how to resolve this? do i need to adjust
permissions along the path mentioned in the error
message? do you know what "...mimelink/audio..." has
to do with pgadmin3?

i can execute pgadmin3 as root just fine.