Re: Anyone install 8.1 on Debian Stable?

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)hank(dot)org>
To: Gavin Hamill <gdh(at)laterooms(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Anyone install 8.1 on Debian Stable?
Date: 2006-04-25 17:06:12
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 04:57:20PM +0100, Gavin Hamill wrote:
> Very simple www.backports.org :)
>
> They have 8.1.3 and it works perfectly.. even the -contrib package is
> there for cube/earthdistance, and the -dev package is there if you want
> to compile Slony, etc.
>
> Follow http://www.backports.org/instructions.html for
> /etc/apt/preferences, and then off you go...

Ok. So as someone that tried to understand pinning once and gave up,
do you pin the packages or use:

apt-get -t sarge-backports install postgresql

method?

I guess it's in the docs, but how do you use psql with both versions?
And I assume I'll need to rebuild DBD::Pg -- and any tricks getting
it to link with the correct client library?

It's the "managed" part of the Dreamhost server that has me
worried. ;)

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley