Re: Receiving SIGPIPE for PQfinish(<broken-connection>)

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo(at)ttnet(dot)net(dot)tr>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Receiving SIGPIPE for PQfinish(<broken-connection>)
Date: 2006-04-24 17:14:11
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Volkan YAZICI wrote:
> On Apr 23 12:09, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Did you ever get this fixed?
>
> Actually, I couldn't reproduce same error on my current system -
> although, as I understand, none of the related source files were
> modified. (That failure was reported using Debian Sarge 3.1, so
> it could be caused by buggy debian libraries - like their buggy
> getpw..._r() family.)
>
> > Volkan YAZICI wrote:
> > >
> > > When I omit --enable-thread-safety, code doesn't handle in the case of
> > > a SIG_ERR return on the call to pqsignal() made from pqsecure_write().
> > >
> > > Furthermore, I still couldn't figure out why pqsignal() cannot handle
> > > SIGPIPE - despite pqsignal() doesn't return SIG_ERR. (A related small
> > > debug output is attached.)
>
> I don't have much experience with signal handling but if any hacker will
> ever get chance to take a look at SIG_ERR returning pqsignal() calls'
> handling, above problem (?) will be clarified.
>
> > > Everything works fine when thread safety is enabled.
>
> What are the reasons for thread-safety is not enabled by default? Is
> this because related system may not support thread locking to be used in
> libpq?

Good question. One issue is that not all operating systems will pass
the regession configure tests, so we could only support threading on
some platforms by default. If we get enough OS support, we can then
support it by default, and have a flag to disable it, like we do with
readline handling.

--
Bruce Momjian http://candle.pha.pa.us