Re: PostgreSQL a slow DB?

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Brant Fitzsimmons <brant(at)bfcomputerconsulting(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL a slow DB?
Date: 2006-04-17 18:07:38
Lists: pgsql-novice

Brant Fitzsimmons wrote:
> >Of course, the questioner gets this strange look on their face, and
> >might ask another question, or just leave.
> >

> That strange look is them thinking that the person they're talking to is
> a jerk. Who in their right mind would think that a person working a
> booth for a company would actually want you to use their product and
> would be civil enough to provide information on why they should use your
> product? The nerve of these people.
>
> If anyone working for me gave a boneheaded response like that I would
> fire them on the spot.

We can't be fired, which is kind of my point.

> >Of course, the question is similar to, "Convince me to date your
> >sister." It isn't a very reasonable question.
> >
> >The bottom line is that we are community project, and we don't have any
> >reason to try to convince you to use or software or not. There is no
> >direct connection between your using our software and any benefit to us.
> >This is unlike MySQL and other commercial companies that have a very
> >real motivation to encourage you to use their software.
> >
> >In fact, it is fact we have no _need_ to sell you on our software that
> >helps us provide superior solutions comared to commercially-produced
> >software.
> >
> Your need, or lack of need, to sell something has no bearing on whether
> or not you should show basic courtesy when responding to questions about
> a product you represent. Want a better and larger community? Don't be
> a tool.

When you are in the booth long enough, you need some kind of
entertainment. Someone else usually jumps in and answers the question,
but that type of question can usually be answered only by asking the
questioner more questions.

Technically, though, I don't think it is our role as community members to
convince people to use our software, is it?

--
Bruce Momjian http://candle.pha.pa.us