Re: Any Oracle HSODBC and PostgreSQL experience out there?

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Any Oracle HSODBC and PostgreSQL experience out there?
Date: 2006-04-13 23:17:03
Lists: sfpug

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 04:03:53PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Reece,
>
> > We're trying to make a postgresql db available within oracle using
> > hsodbc and dblinks. We're using oracle 9.2.0.5 on AIX, connecting to
> > postgresql 8.1.3 on x86_64-linux, using unixODBC and pgodbc (several
> > versions tried).
> >
> > Has anyone out there made HSODBC work with PostgreSQL? If so, I'd
> > appreciate a config summary and we'll keep trying.
>
> I think this is a problem with HSODBC and just about any gateway. You'd
> have the same issues with MS Access or MS DTS.
>
> You could hack this by extending DBI-Link, although the syntax will be
> awkward ... currently RULES give us no way to grab the WHERE clause from
> an incoming query. So you'd need to do something like:

I sent something out on this this morning, but it doesn't appear to
have gone through. DBI-Link has a facility called remote_query() that
lets you stuff a whole query over the wire. No automated
predicate-pushing just yet, but any help would be helpful. I suspect
that Major Back-End Engine Magick(TM) would be involved with automated
predicate-pushing.

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778 AIM: dfetter666
Skype: davidfetter