Hardware related question: 3ware 9500S

From: Janning Vygen <vygen(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Hardware related question: 3ware 9500S
Date: 2006-04-12 15:53:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

i don't know much about hard disks and raid controllers but often there is
some discussion about which raid controller rocks and which sucks. my hosting
company offers me a raid 10 with 4 serial-ata disks. They will use a "3ware
4-Port-RAID-Controller 9500S"

More than 4 disks are not possible. Most operations and all time-critical
operations are read-only using a lot of indices. My partioning plans are like
this:

disk 1: OS, tablespace
disk 2: indices, WAL, Logfiles

- Does my partitioning make sense?
- I want to know if 3ware 9500 S is recommended or if its one of those
controllers which sucks.

kind regards,
janning