Re: PostgreSQL a slow DB?

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Relaxin <me(at)yourhouse(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL a slow DB?
Date: 2006-04-10 23:47:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

> That doesn't really help anwser the question...
> The developers in our office (and myself) are also
> under the impression that
> PG is a very slow database.
> Also when you look thru the "performance" newsgroup,
> it seems to me that
> what people are saying is true.
>
> So instead of being a jerk to those of us who are a
> "novice" to PG, how
> about giving some concrete answers to these
> performance questions.
>

> > ebcorder(at)rockwellcollins(dot)com wrote:
> >>
> >> I know when comparison tests are performed they
> can be tilted on these
> >> internet sites. But I see so many people
> declaring PostgreSQL to be the
> >> slowest I am thinking where there is smoke
> there's fire.
>
> "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote in
> message
> >
> > Lots of people still think Elvis is alive. :-)
> >
> > --
> > Bruce Momjian http://candle.pha.pa.us

Relaxin... interesting name given your response.

i have found pgsql to be extremely fast on our
intranet production system (near instantaneous).
however, it currently doesn't have a lot of data - so
i'm not sure if it is a good gauge.

as for chatter, it is just that - chatter. would you
trust a debian fan to accurately describe gentoo? or
visa versa?

how about a microsoft sales rep and linux? it would be
very naive to think an accurate and fair assessment
would be given, no?

my guess is that you are tuned into a bunch of mysql
or mssql sites (oracle is alledgedly the slowest db of
them all). as for enterprise db's marketing... we
both know they take the absolute slowest postgresql
can be (ie, set pgsql to be as slow as possible) and
then they compare themselves to it in a test that
absolutely gives them the best possible advantage.

if they didn't, the marketing department would be
fired.

that's marketing. tune up pgsql and don't let
enterprise db manipulate the test to their absolute
best favor and i doubt the difference is noticable.
it surely is not 50% faster.

if you want a site that runs on postgresql, try
sesamestreet.org.

they use postgresql.

http://www.sesameworkshop.org/

no, not market hyped enterprise db and their fattest
marketing hype number they could spin.

postgresql is the db.

ps - it is silly to call a properly configured
postgresql db a slow db (slow defined in a rational
way) under acceptable loads for this db. typically,
only zealots with agendas do that kind of stuff.