Re: psqlODBC-Driver Test / text fields

From: Ludek Finstrle <luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz>
To: Johann Zuschlag <zuschlag2(at)online(dot)de>
Cc: Ludek Finstrle <luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz>, inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp, dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psqlODBC-Driver Test / text fields
Date: 2006-03-29 15:35:19
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> >>The last query is equivalent with:
> >>select name from kunde where name = 'ö'
> >>
> >>So I'm not surprised with the result ;-)
> >>
> >>What is the locale for backend? Isn't this the real problem?
>
> sure, that is the same, but the result is 0 lines for both. :-)

It's ok result. I see no 'ö' in data you have posted. I see only
'ösomething'.

> we don't need two drivers anymore. Thanks a lot for your work. So far

It's not my work. I only fixed 08.01 branch since 08.01.0102.
The enahnced branch is Hiroshi (Inoue and Saito) work.

> PostgreSQL 8.0X on Debian Sarge
> Unicode or LATIN1 or SQL-ASCII Database

You tried this all?

> locale=de_DE

I think it could be the problem. You have unicode data but you try
sort it in de_DE.ISO-8859-1.
Could you try change the locale for _backend_ process to de_DE.UTF-8 or
de_DE(dot)UTF-8(at)euro? (Maybe also in postmaster.conf configuration file
of postgresql). I'm not sure if it isn't even initdb time related.

> de_DE.ISO-8859-1 (default)
> de_DE.UTF-8
> de_DE(dot)UTF-8(at)euro
> de_DE(dot)ISO-8859-15(at)euro
>
> changing to de_DE didn't change anything, client_encoding didn't help,
> since the problem doesn't seem to be related to the driver.

I don't speak about psql (client or driver) locale. I speak about
backend locale (and settings in postmaster.conf).
The sort operation is performed in backend process.

I suggest to try ask for this (with psql client problem) in pgsql-general.

Regards,

Luf