Re: Please help, pgAdmin3 on Debian!

From: Martin Pitt <mpitt(at)debian(dot)org>
To: lmyho <lm_yho(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Please help, pgAdmin3 on Debian!
Date: 2006-03-28 11:53:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi lmyho,

lmyho [2006-03-28 0:17 -0800]:
> I am totally new to the PostgreSQL, and pgAdmin. I really need
> your help.
>
> I just installed the PostgreSQL8.1 and pgAdmin3 on a Debian system,
> using the apt-get install command. Apparently, the initial
> database and the user "postgres" have also been automatically
> created during the installation.

Please feel free to mail me directly
(postgresql-8(dot)1(at)packages(dot)debian(dot)org) for questions related to the
Debian packages. It might be regarded as noise on the upstream lists.

> Which is good. But I've got big trouble to login to this initial
> db by using this auto-created username "postgres" through
> pgAdmin:((( The first try failed due to "Ident authentication
> failed"

The 'postgres' user in Debian is a system user with a locked password,
since it is not recommended to use it for normal work with the
database. As /usr/share/postgresql-common/README.Debian describes, you
should first create your own database user and work with that. Then
the default 'ident' authentication scheme will work, and you are free
to set a password for your db user as well (so that connecting from
remote computer over TCP works as well).

If you really need to connect as user postgres to do administrative
tasks, then the easiest solution is to set a password for the user
postgres, as already mentioned in the previous reply.

HTH,

Martin

--
Martin Pitt http://www.piware.de
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?