Re: Where does the time go?

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Where does the time go?
Date: 2006-03-25 15:45:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 04:24:05PM +0100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> I agree. However, if it's the overhead of calling gettimeofday() that
> slows everything down, perhaps we should tackle that end. For example,
> have a sampling mode that only times say 5% of the executed nodes.
>
> EXPLAIN ANALYZE SAMPLE blah;

<snip>

> You could do a non-random sampling fairly easily:

Actually, I thought of a better way to control the sampling that's
probably better than the crude if-then-else structure I gave which also
takes advantage of the fact that the numbers are floating point:

InstrInit:
next_sample = 0;

InstrStart:
if( ntuples < 16 )
dosample = yes;
else if( ntuples > next_sample )
{
dosample = yes;
next_sample += log2(ntuples);
}
else
dosample = no;

This will sample approxiamtly log2 of the actual executions. You could
use log10(), sqrt() or any other function you find reflects the sample
you want.

Have a nice day,