Renaming a sequence?

From: <ogjunk-pgjedan(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Renaming a sequence?
Date: 2006-03-25 03:22:59
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

I just renamed some of my tables, but I now have sequences with older names.
I followed info from http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-altersequence.html :

"Some variants of ALTER TABLE can be used with sequences as well; for example, to rename a sequence use ALTER TABLE RENAME"

So this is what I did:

ALTER TABLE topic_id_seq RENAME TO watchlist_id_seq;

That *appeared* to work, but I still see the old sequence name:

mydb => \d watchlist
Table "public.watchlist"
Column | Type | Modifiers
id | integer | not null default nextval('public.topic_id_seq'::text)
"pk_topic_id" PRIMARY KEY, btree (id)

It looks like my sequence WAS renamed, but my table's PK points to the old sequence name, which is not supposed to exist any more. Is there any way to change this without killing the sequence?

Thanks,
Otis