Re: Bloated pg_shdepend_depender_index

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Gregory Maxwell" <gmaxwell(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Bloated pg_shdepend_depender_index
Date: 2006-03-24 10:50:19
Lists: pgsql-admin

Am Freitag, 24. März 2006 05:48 schrieb Tom Lane:
> Well, the VACUUM FULL algorithm is incapable of shrinking indexes ---
> the only way is REINDEX, or something else that reconstructs indexes
> from scratch, such as CLUSTER. One of the things we need to look into
> is putting more smarts into VACUUM so that it automatically does
> something reasonable when faced with extreme cases like these.

If the user is running VACUUM FULL, he has presumably determined that the
table is too bloated to be recovered in a graceful way, and quite likely the
indexes are going to be bloated similarly. So seemingly one might as well
launch a reindexing on the table after VACUUM FULL has done its thing.
Whether that should be automatic is another question but perhaps the advice
should be documented somewhere?

--
Peter Eisentraut