Re: Problem with query, server totally unresponsive

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Bendik Rognlien Johansen <bendik(dot)johansen(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with query, server totally unresponsive
Date: 2006-03-24 10:25:20
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 01:12:08PM +0100, Bendik Rognlien Johansen wrote:
> Hello, I have a big problem with one of my databases. When i run my
> query, after a few minutes, the postmaster shows 99% mem i top, and
> the server becomes totally unresponsive.

You've got a bunch of sorts going on; could you be pushing the machine
into swapping?

> I get this message when I try to cancel the query:

> This probably means the server terminated abnormally

Did you send a kill of some kind to the backend?

> The machine has 2x Intel dual core processors (3GHz) and 2 Gigs of ram.

Unless I missed some big news recently, no such CPU exists.
Hyperthreading is absolutely not the same as dual core, and many people
have found that it's best to disable hyperthreading on database servers.