Re: version problem with pg_dump

From: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)simkin(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: version problem with pg_dump
Date: 2006-03-23 21:43:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On March 23, 2006 01:32 pm, "Brian Kitzberger"
<KITZBERGERB(at)mail(dot)co(dot)stanislaus(dot)ca(dot)us> wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Okay, not only am I new to PostgreSQL but I am new to Linux with a
> little experience years ago with Unix. So I didn't know about rpm nor
> does any one else here. But anyway, the result of running rpm is:
>
> postgresql-libs-7.4.8-0.6
> postgresql-server-7.4.8-0.6
> postgresql-jdbc-7.3-189.1
> postgresql-7.4.8-0.6
> qt3-postgresql-3.3.1-35.11
>
> I did an ls in the /usr/bin directory and sure enough there are the
> other files I could not find before. So I guess I will have to cross
> the bridge. As a test, I just mv the file /usr/bin/pg_dump. If rpm had
> a dependence on that file would it cause some kind of error message in
> trying to move it? I was able to successfully move the file to the
> root.

RPM won't say anything unless you run rpm commands (ie. rpm -e package to
remove it).

The only one of those you're likely to have a dependency problem with is
postgresql-libs. perl-DBD-Pg, and possibly a few other packages (like PHP,
as a previous poster mentioned), will be linked to that.

--
Alan