Re: Perfomance test figures

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Amit Soni <amit(at)datumglobal(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Perfomance test figures
Date: 2006-03-21 11:38:13
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 09:59:54PM -0800, Amit Soni wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I want to compare performance of postgresql database with some other database.
>
> Somebody must have done some performance testing.
>
> Can you pls. share that data (performance figures) with me? And if possible pls. share procedure also, that how you have done the same?

Sadly, there's very little in the way of meaningful benchmarks,
especially ones that aren't ancient. A SQLite user recently did some
testing, but his workload was a single-user case, something that SQLite
is ideally suited for (and not very interesting for anything in the
enterprise world).

I've been wanting to do a PostgreSQL vs MySQL head-to-head using DBT2
for some time. I even have hardware to do it on. What I haven't been
able to find is the time. If this is something you'd be interested in
helping with, please let me know. Depending on how much work you wanted
to do there could be money in it as well (Pervasive would pay for a
performance comparison whitepaper).