Re: [HACKERS] Bug report form: locale/encoding

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Bug report form: locale/encoding
Date: 2006-03-16 09:52:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 10:11:23AM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Considering the amount of bug repotrs that get their first question as
> "what's the locale" and "what's the encoding", should we perhaps add
> those fields to the bug reporting form?
>
> And if we should, should we add them as optional or mandatory?

Mandatory, including a quick description on how to get the values.

Has anyone considered something like "reportbug" in Debian which
collects a certain amount of information about the system and then
creates an email with the information included. Of perhaps a pg_buginfo
like this:

$ pg_buginfo <dbname>
Platform: blah
Version: blah
Compiler: blah
etc...
FrozenXID: blah
Encoding: blah
Locale: blah

Which could then be cut and paste into an email or the bug form. Maybe
with optional table name it would provide more info about just that
table. Or if you provide a query it generates explain output.
Obviously it won't work in situations where the system is completely
broken.

Have a nice day,