Re: Proposal for SYNONYMS

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: William ZHANG <uniware(at)zedware(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal for SYNONYMS
Date: 2006-03-09 17:18:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Jonah H. Harris (jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> On 3/9/06, William ZHANG <uniware(at)zedware(dot)org> wrote:
> > Or should we let
> > DROP TABLE foo CASCADE;
> > to drop the SYNONYMS depended on the table?
>
> Yes, I don't see any reason not to allow a cascading table drop include
> synonyms that reference them.

Should a non-cascade drop fail or just implicitly drop the synonyms?
I'm not sure which way I feel about this... Users with only 'select'
permissions on a given object can't currently create objects which
depend on that object (such that dropping the object would then require
'cascade'), can they?

I'd tend to think the synonyms should just be implicitly dropped. The
creator of the table doesn't necessairly have any knowledge (or care)
about synonyms which anyone with access to the table could have
created...

Thanks,

Stephen