Re: CREATE SYNONYM ...

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, Hans-J?rgen Sch?nig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, eg(at)cybertec(dot)at
Subject: Re: CREATE SYNONYM ...
Date: 2006-03-08 01:06:24
Lists: pgsql-patches

Jonah H. Harris wrote:

> Now, one may argue that it's incorrect/bad application-design to not use
> fully qualified names, however, there are cases (especially in VERY large
> database applications) where you do not want to use fully qualified naming.
> In PostgreSQL, the alternative to synonyms is to have a monstrous search
> path $user, public, HR, AP, AR, GL, FA, COMMON... Not that we have Oracle
> Applications running on PostgreSQL, but 11i has something like 130+? schemas
> which would be pretty nasty and semi-unprofessional as a search_path rather
> than as something defined similar to synonyms.

Well, if you don't want to have a monstrous search path with 130+
schemas, then you'll have a monstrous amount of synonyms. Given that
schemas are a way to separate the object namespace, it seems more
sensible to me to propagate the user of reasonable search paths than the
use of hundreds (thousands?) of synonyms.