Re: exporting data from one DB to another asynchronously

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Nagita Karunaratne <nagita(dot)k(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: exporting data from one DB to another asynchronously
Date: 2006-03-06 21:27:47
Lists: pgsql-novice

> > Nagita,
> >
> > You are asking the right questions of the wrong
> group. Postgresql is a
> > database. Or more completely and Object-Relational
> Database Management
> > System. Postgresql keeps track of data. Your
> "problems" or tasks are
> > more appropriately in the area of application. So
> if you want it to
> > postgresql can store your data that your salesman
> collects, that gets
> > e-mailed to customers, and that comes in via the
> web. But in and of
> > itself it won't collect, send, or provide a web
> interface.
>
> Hi John,
>
> I think I over-elaborated.
>
> Basically I would like to know if postgresql can
> move information from
> one instance to another periodically (daily).
>
> So if the source database has customer name,
> address, phone, model
> purchased, date of purchase, color etc.
>
> Can it move just the date of purchase, model, color
> to a second
> database in another application so it is ready when
> they login to that
> application to take a after sales survey?
>
> Thanks,
> NK

Nagita, why do you want two databases? under normal
circumstances, you'd just use one db to store your
data and your application would run a SQL statement
against it in order to pull the relevant data.

if you *really* want to keep the data separate
(security reasons, for example), it is best to design
the schemas (or dbs) that way and use your application
to enter the data into both dbs (real time, not
transfer stuff all over the place), but only make the
"public" data available to the dbuser defined in the
app to run the sales survey.

i've never done this, so don't assume what i just said
necessarily makes sense, though. ;-)

come to think of it, you could probably manage
prmissions on tables to achieve the same result,
should that be a requirement.

good luck.