Re: Uninstall script errors

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Uninstall script errors
Date: 2006-03-02 21:19:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 02:49:13PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org> writes:
> > Would it make sense for DROP TYPE to have some kind of limited
> > cascade so you could drop a type and its I/O functions at the same
> > time, but still get an error if other objects depend on the type?
>
> Seems pretty ugly. Maybe the thing to do is have a command that somehow
> reverts a type to the "shell" state, whereupon the deletion sequence can
> be the exact logical inverse of the creation sequence:

I thought the same thing after the recent commits involving shell
types and got similarly stuck.

Do people at least agree that a DROP TYPE that works without CASCADE
would be desirable? The rationale is the same as for other DROP
commands: drop the object if nothing depends on it, else raise an
error. That's impossible now because of the circular dependency
between a type and its I/O functions, which requires the use of
CASCADE.

--
Michael Fuhr