Re: Change date format through an environmental variable?

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Mark Fenbers <Mark(dot)Fenbers(at)noaa(dot)gov>, PostgreSQL - SQL <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Change date format through an environmental variable?
Date: 2006-03-02 07:33:31
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 01:16:47AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org> writes:
> > The libpq documentation has a list of environment variables, although
> > it's not complete:
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/libpq-envars.html
>
> Er, what's not complete about it? Feel free to send a doc patch ...

Missing from that page are mostly standard variables that aren't
specific to PostgreSQL but that applications like psql might use.
Documented elsewhere are:

EDITOR (psql)
PAGER (psql)
PGDATA (various)
PSQL_EDITOR (psql)
SHELL (psql)
TMPDIR (psql)
TZ (postmaster)
VISUAL (psql)

I see LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE in a few places but not in the
documentation for postgres/postmaster, which is where they appear
to be used (backend/main/main.c). Should those pages mention them?

A couple of variables are used in the code but aren't mentioned in
the documentation. Are they worth documenting?

COMSPEC (psql, Win32 only)
PG_DBPATH (ecpg, Informix mode)

--
Michael Fuhr