Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....
Date: 2006-03-01 17:26:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Monday 27 February 2006 21:09, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > One question I have is how this feature would be an improvement over
> > just pointing pg_ctl at a postgresql.conf configuration file. That
> > config file has the ability to specify most if not all server
> > parameters.
>
> The big problem is that postgresql.conf is dynamically generated during
> initdb, and its location depends upon initdb's parameters directly. This
> makes it difficult to distribute, at least for packagers, a template of
> postgresql.conf or a 'default' postgresql.conf that plays nice with multiple
> versions and clusters, yet has centralized database tracking.

But looking at postgresql.conf I see:

#data_directory = 'ConfigDir' # use data in another directory
#port = 5432

so it seems everything in this configuration file is going to be
duplicated in postgresql.conf.

We are adding an "include" capability for postgresql.conf. Does that help?

Also, keep in mind this TODO item:

* Allow pg_ctl to work properly with configuration files located outside
the PGDATA directory

pg_ctl can not read the pid file because it isn't located in the
config directory but in the PGDATA directory. The solution is to
allow pg_ctl to read and understand postgresql.conf to find the
data_directory value.

I am thinking it should be fixed as part of this.

What if we add an option to initdb to allow the user to specify the name
and location of the postgresql.conf file?

--
Bruce Momjian http://candle.pha.pa.us
SRA OSS, Inc. http://www.sraoss.com