Re: multiple threads using one connection

From: Philip Yarra <philip(at)utiba(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Gruszka <rgruszka(at)power(dot)com(dot)pl>
Subject: Re: multiple threads using one connection
Date: 2006-03-01 00:18:13
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 05:17 am, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Just to clarify, libpq is thread-safe is each thread uses its own
> connection object.

Hope it's okay if I clarify this a little further, Bruce...

Robert, I think you *should* be able to use the same connection from multiple
threads so long as you do your own work to avoid concurrent use of the
connection. I'm sorry, I know less than nothing about Ada, but in C terms
you'd be using a mutex, acquiring it before your thread issues a statement on
the connection, reading back all data etc., then releasing the mutex. Other
threads can then acquire the mutex and use the connection. I assume Ada
provides some similar sort of concurrency control.

On a side note, the preferred way is to use a connection per thread... and
given the overhead of thread creation, ISTM the cost of a connection wouldn't
be that high... but I assume you have some good reason for doing it this way.
I suppose a connection pool might be another way you could handle this
requirement.

I say it *should* work because I know this works with ECPG, and AFAIK it uses
libpq calls, so should be similar for your language binding, but please test
it with a sample app before assuming that I know what I'm talking about. Can
someone correct me if I have this wrong? It's been a while since I had to
think about this stuff...

Regards, Philip.

Utiba Pty Ltd
dangerous content by Utiba mail server and is
believed to be clean.