Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Mark Woodward <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....
Date: 2006-02-27 19:27:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 11:48:50AM -0500, Mark Woodward wrote:
> Well, I'm sure that one "could" use debian's solution, but that's the
> problem, it isn't PostgreSQL's solution. Shouldn't PostgreSQL provide the
> mechanisms? Will debian support FreeBSD? NetBSD? Is it in the PostgreSQL
> admin manual?

I meant that it's a good start. It's a fully functional solution (for
its intended audience) that works now and thus might give you ideas how
you want your solution to work.

> Argg, the pgfoundary is sort of the "free speech zones" that the U.S. sets
> up out of view of the president and the press. Yea, its there, and if you
> go out of your way, you can find it. Think of Arthur Dent's "The plans
> were on display!"

My point is only that since trying to convince people on -hackers to
write the code isn't working, perhaps someone (you?) could write it
seperately for possible inclusion later. If someone writes it all
themselves then they can send a patch. OTOH if several people want to
collaborate on a solution, something like pgfoundary is useful.

Have a nice day,