Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Undisclosed(dot)Recipients: ;
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....
Date: 2006-02-28 00:59:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mark,

> My frustration level often kills any desire to contribute to open
> source. Sometimes, I think that open source is doomed. The various
> projects I track and use are very frustrating, they remind me of
> dysfunctional engineering departments in huge companies, it is very hard
> to positively discuss any new ideas. The first response is always some
> variation on "no."

Well, if you weren't a regular I'd be more encouraging. But you already
know how things work here, so we can give you a hard time. I'll point
out the year-long argument over the newsysviews for the contributors, the
two-year long process for 2PC, etc.

Sometimes you can just throw stuff up on this forum and people will say
"wow, cool, I could really use something that does that." and you're off
and flying. Other times, though, it's hard for people on this list to see
how a vague proposal would be useful, so you need to have a prototype that
*shows* how useful it is.

As a parallel, I personally didn't see the utility of DTrace until I saw
Brian Cantrell give a demo of the full feature set. If you just read the
spec, it's hard to see how it's an improvement over oprofile.

> Maybe it is that the whiteboard engineering discussion process doesn't
> translate well to this medium.

Nope.

--
--Josh