Re: ERROR: Cannot determine geometry type (empty table).

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Sunanda Kumaraguru <sunanda(dot)kumaraguru(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, Ashok Samal <samal(at)cse(dot)unl(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: ERROR: Cannot determine geometry type (empty table).
Date: 2006-02-23 21:54:48
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 01:48:54PM -0600, Sunanda Kumaraguru wrote:
> Iam trying to use the postgis dumper.I get the follwing error.
>
> ERROR: Cannot determine geometry type (empty table).

What exactly did you do to get this error? Are you trying to use
pgsql2shp? After loading your data it worked fine for me:

% pgsql2shp postgis feb3
Initializing... Done (postgis major version: 1).
Output shape: Polygon
Dumping: XX [3 rows].
% ls -l
total 10
-rw------- 1 mfuhr mfuhr 223 Feb 23 14:49 feb3.dbf
-rw------- 1 mfuhr mfuhr 5612 Feb 23 14:49 feb3.shp
-rw------- 1 mfuhr mfuhr 124 Feb 23 14:49 feb3.shx

However, if I empty the table then I get the same error you got:

% psql -d postgis -c 'delete from feb3'
DELETE 3
% pgsql2shp postgis feb3
Initializing... ERROR: Cannot determine geometry type (empty table).

I'd guess you're trying to dump an empty table. If that doesn't
help then try asking on the postgis-users mailing list.