Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....

From: Martin Pitt <mpitt(at)debian(dot)org>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....
Date: 2006-02-23 13:03:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Martijn!

Martijn van Oosterhout [2006-02-23 13:33 +0100]:
> What I mean is that only root can run pg_createcluster (either via
> package installation or directly). At least, that's what my reading of
> the code tells me. Uless you have an pg_adoptcluster somewhere :)

Ah, right, now I know what you mean. This is necessary since non-root
users can't (or rather shouldn't) write into /etc. If there is a
desire for it, we can certainly discuss a way to manage clusters
entirely as an user (with some missing features like autostart at
boot, of course). But that should happen in the Debian BTS, not here.

> I really like the way Debian does it, you do a good job.

Thanks :)

> Have you considered autogenerating entries for pg_service.conf?

Not yet. TBH I didn't know about the pg_service.conf feature until
just recently (in Debian you can select a cluster with --cluster
version/name, that worked pretty well so far). Sounds interesting,
though. :) (Again, let's discuss that in the Debian BTS).

Thanks for the suggestions,

Martin
--
Martin Pitt http://www.piware.de
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?