Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Martin Pitt <mpitt(at)debian(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....
Date: 2006-02-23 12:33:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 12:42:52PM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > The main downside of this system is that some sysadmin pretty much
> > needs to create the clusters for everyone.
>
> What do you mean in particular? The packages install a default cluster
> (e. g. postgresql-8.1 creates a cluster 8.1/main), more clusters can
> be created with pg_createcluster.

What I mean is that only root can run pg_createcluster (either via
package installation or directly). At least, that's what my reading of
the code tells me. Uless you have an pg_adoptcluster somewhere :)

> I agree. Also, FYI, a while ago I proposed some patches which allow
> several major versions to be installed in parallel, but they were
> deemed too specific for upstream inclusion (which is fine; it's the
> distributor's task to integrate an application into a distribution's
> file layout/configuration handling/other quirks).

I really like the way Debian does it, you do a good job. Have you
considered autogenerating entries for pg_service.conf?

Have a nice day,