Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Mark Woodward <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....
Date: 2006-02-23 11:10:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 09:22:14AM -0500, Mark Woodward wrote:
> That's not the issue.
> I find it frustrating sometimes because when I describe one scenario,
> people debate it using other scenarios. Maybe I lack the communications
> skills to convey the problem accurately.

<snip>

> Now, if there were a standard file from which you could "see" what
> databases are installed and running on this system, you could write a
> shell script:

If you're talking about standards perhaps you should consider how
Debian does it. All configuration is stored in

/etc/postgresql/<version>/<clustername>/

It provides wrapper scripts to run pg_ctl (pg_ctlcluster) on any
particular cluster which can be run by either the system user owning
the db, or root.

Within those files is all the information required to find the cluster
(base directory, etc).

I think the default config is to start all clusters on bootup. The main
downside of this system is that some sysadmin pretty much needs to
create the clusters for everyone. Kinda logical given the location of
the configuration.

I doubt something like this would ever make it into the standard
distribution though. What you're asking is more a distributer issue
than an issue for postgres.

Have a nice day,