Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Mark Woodward <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....
Date: 2006-02-21 14:36:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 09:39:16AM -0500, Mark Woodward wrote:
> The pg_config program needs to display more information, specifically
> where the location of pg_service.conf would reside.

AIUI it's supposed to be in SYSCONFDIR which is displayed by pg_config.
I believe you can place the other config files there also.

> Maybe we also add to pg_service.conf enough data to start a database so
> that a tool, perhaps pg_service, could read and extract the info for
> pg_ctl, so databases can be started by service names:
>
> pg_ctl -S service_name start

This I don't understand. pg_service.conf is for configuring how clients
should connect to the server. It doesn't have any of the info needed
for the server to start up. What have you actually got in mind?

> This would tie together a great number of loose ends in PostgreSQL that I
> have been whining about for years.
>
> I'll do the coding and submit a patch, but I'd like to open a discussion
> to know if it is worth the effort, i.e. do you guys want this behavior if
> it is done well?

At this point I don't understand what behaviour you want. Do you want
to be able to control multiple backends or just one? I know the Debian
packages have stuff in them to deal with a number of clusters running
possibly different versions but I'm not sure if this is what you are
hinting at.

Have a nice day,