Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Allow psql multi-line column values to align

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Allow psql multi-line column values to align
Date: 2006-02-10 18:43:49
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-patches

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 06:16:07PM +0100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> Thanks for the tip. I'm currently merging CVS with my version and
> getting a lot of conflicts (whitespace variations).
>
> It's fairly simple changes AFAICS. Just need to fix the declarations of
> a few variables.

Does PostgreSQL have a policy on the signedness of strings? When I was
making the patch I generally used "unsigned char" to try to emphasise
that these are not characters, they are bytes of an encoding. But this
doesn't play well with existing functions like PQdsplen and PQmblen.

At this point I'm thinking of dropping the "unsigned" everywhere and
just being really careful of comparisons. OTOH, it's really those two
functions being inconsistant because the underlying functions do use
unsigned. Thoughts?

Have a nice day,