Re: [PORTS] Failed install - libgen.so doesn't exist

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PORTS] Failed install - libgen.so doesn't exist
Date: 2006-02-04 10:59:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 01:54:52AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I took a first swing at this and rearranged some of these calls.

Cool. I actually went through a while ago trying to work out which
libraries were needed for which platforms. Comments below.

> A couple of other findings:
>
> nsl -- This might contain socket functions on some older platforms.

This appears to always be paired with -lsocket on solaris and svr4. In
theory -lsocket should pull in -lnsl automatically but maybe there are
linker issues.

> ipc, IPC, lc -- unknown

-lipc was apparently for bsdi, nextstep. Don't know about the others.

> ld -- On AIX at least this seems to be some magic library but doesn't
> have an obvious testable symbol.

Indeed, appears to be AIX only.

> compat -- could be anything, obviously

I have it listed as only needed for PRE_BSDI_2_1. I don't really know
though.

> bsd, BSD -- I seem to recall that these and possibly compat are used by
> Solaris to switch to BSD semantics on certain functions, but I don't
> think we rely on that (anymore).

Apparently -lbsd is used on AIX but it contains pow() which is the
wrong one (the comment wasn't clear). -lBSD was for hpux. Linux used to
use it but not anymore.

> gen -- "generic" or "general", so this could be a lot, but it might
> contain syslog on some platforms at least.

No info on this one.

> PW -- might be a compatibility library but none of the functions I found
> are used by PostgreSQL.

Listed for old SCO. No idea what for though.

> resolv -- I don't think we need that.

Probably included because some other library required it but didn't
include it in its link line, requiring every user of the library to do
it. The same way -ltermcap is required on a default -lreadline install.

Have a nice day,