Re: pg_restore COPY error handling

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_restore COPY error handling
Date: 2006-02-02 01:06:16
Lists: pgsql-patches

* Bruce Momjian (pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us) wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> > this is a hopeless way of giving a reference. Many users don't keep list
> > emails. If you want to refer to a previous post you should give a
> > reference to the web archives.
> >
> > I assume you are referring to this post:
> > http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2006-01/msg00188.php
>
> OK, that helps. The solution is to "not do that", meaning install
> postgis before the restore or something. Anyway, adding the patch seems
> like too large a risk for a minor release, especially since you are the
> first person to complain about it that I remember.

It's not PostGIS specific, it's any case where a COPY command fails for
any reason. I'll be following up with the Debian maintainer regarding
being able to install things before doing the restore/pg_upgradecluster
(at the moment there's no hook from pg_upgradecluster between creating
the database and trying to load the data). I understand that's not
really a PostgreSQL issue but I do think pg_restore should be able to
handle a COPY command failing sanely... :/

I didn't think the patch was terribly large or complicated... The one
thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't seem to be very easy to
differentiate between a COPY command failing and some other SQL command
failing. If there's a better way to detect this than to just check for
'<whitespace>COPY', I'd love to hear it. :) I'd also be happy to make
any changes necessary to have the patch accepted, of course...

Thanks,

Stephen