Re: Tab completion of SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tab completion of SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION
Date: 2006-01-31 19:11:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 03:41:06PM +0100, Csaba Nagy wrote:
> Is there any chance for psql opening a new session if it's inside a
> transaction and use that to do whatever querying is needed ? Just
> something like the control connection on ftp (analogy not very good).
> That could cause other surprises though (could fail for example due to
> too many connections open), and I have no idea about psql internals so
> it might be completely against it's philosophy...

Well, one problem there is that the connection could well have different
parameters, like search_path. Granted, probably wouldn't matter in this
case, but... Plus of course there's the cost of startup.

Something that's asked for periodically is the ability to run things
outside of a current transaction. The normal reply is to use DBLink, but
if there was backend support for that it could probably be used here.
But I suspect adding that ability would be a pretty large amount of work
:(