Re: Want to add to contrib.... xmldbx

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Mark Woodward <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Want to add to contrib.... xmldbx
Date: 2006-01-30 18:57:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 03:15:06PM -0500, Mark Woodward wrote:
> > Postgres generally seems to favor extensibility over integration, and I
> > generally agree with that approach.
>
> I generally agree as well, but.....
>
> I think there is always a balance between "out of the box" vs
> "extensibility." I think integration and extensibility is fantastic for
> addaptation of your product, but "oobe" (out of box experience) is
> important for those you want to target.
>
> By all practical measure PostgreSQL is miles ahead of MySQL, but MySQL
> wins because it is the defacto PHP database. PostgreSQL does not target
> PHP in any real sense, I am proposing adding this extension to change
> that.

Rather than try and include everything and the kitchen-sink in the
baseline PostgreSQL, why not create a set of PHP targeted
ports/packages? Maybe even bundle Apache in there so you've got your own
'LAPP' stack? (Though being a FreeBSD guy, I'd rather have 'FAPP'...)
One of the key advantages to this approach is that now you can really
create a package that makes sense to the target audience by doing things
like automatically including PHP as a procedure language.

And of course, there's no reason this has to be limited to just PHP...