Re: Want to add to contrib.... xmldbx

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz, pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, david(at)fetter(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Want to add to contrib.... xmldbx
Date: 2006-01-30 05:30:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Sunday 29 January 2006 22:23, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Mark Kirkwood said:
> > Mark Woodward wrote:
> >> There should e a big huge button and/or link
> >> to pgfountry that shows how much is availale to PostgreSQL.
> >
> > While there are links to 'em mentioned on the web site, I agree that
> > making (particularly) Pgfoundry more prominent would be a good idea.
> >
> > Mark, do you want to suggest that on -advocacy (since I suspect that's
> > the place to get it to happen)?

I hate to repeat this sad story, but we're stalling due to the need for server
upgrades on the foundry to make it more robust. Eventually it will get more
play I imagine.

> A nicer idea would be something like a utility could we ship that will
> download, build and install module foo for you. Then we could publish many
> many modules on pgfoundry, their authors could look after them, and
> installing them would be trivial. pgxs should make such a thing a lot
> simpler in many cases.
>
> Of course, building it would be quite a bit of work :-)

Actually I don't think it would be all that hard. You just need to have each
project produce an xml file with bits of package information (name,
dependencies, version info, etc...) which could then be combined with all the
other packages to produce a complete list of available packages. You then
just need a binary installed with postgresql that can grab the latest copy of
the xml list so it can present a list of packages to install. It then
downloads the packages from pgfoundry directly. The biggest issue is probably
getting the various packages to provide a similar structure for downloading,
but if you got the base system working I think they would be willing to
comply.

--
Robert Treat