Re: Adding a --quiet option to initdb

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Thomas Hallgren <thomas(at)tada(dot)se>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, James William Pye <james(dot)pye(at)icrossing(dot)com>, Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, James William Pye <pgsql(at)jwp(dot)name>
Subject: Re: Adding a --quiet option to initdb
Date: 2006-01-27 15:49:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> >>I get a "WARNING: enabling "trust" authentication for local connections".
> >>Now this information *is* important. Unfortunately it's mixed in with
> >>all the rest unless I use a special redirect of stdout.

> >While we can probably all agree that it's not very interesting to
> >mention every single directory that initdb creates, I find it fairly
> >hard to buy an argument that some of the non-progress messages are
> >important and the others are not. Every one of them got put in
> >because someone thought it important.
>
> I agree. The above warning is not an indication that something is wrong
> and it should be removed too.

This warning was added because of security considerations AFAIR. If the
intent is to make initdb super-quiet, we still have to have security in
mind. So if you want it to not say anything by default, instead of
throwing a warning it should throw an error and refuse to continue;
unless a default password is specified or a --silently-enable-trust-auth
switch is passed, in either of which cases it can silently continue.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/DXLWNGRJD34J
"I can't go to a restaurant and order food because I keep looking at the