Re: Slow query through ODBC

From: Ludek Finstrle <luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz>
To: thewild(at)free(dot)fr
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slow query through ODBC
Date: 2006-01-23 10:35:03
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> My workstation is a WinXP Pro, and I use the latest psqlODBC
> driver available as an MSI package (version 8.01.0102).

Don't you have problem with geting whole data correctly? There
is bug in psqlodbc driver when reading data from text field larger
then 2048 (+-) bytes (in Unicode driver). The problem was fixed
in 08.01.0106 development snapshot.

> The server is a PostGreSQL 8.1.2, running on a Win2000 server.
>
> The query is very simple, it returns about 1500 lines, made of

Are you sure the PgAdmin returns all rows (I'm not). Maybe Dave
give us the answer.

> only one text field, but this field can be very large (it is the
> WKT representation of a spatial object from PostGIS).
>
> I am connecting to the server in a VBA project with a simple
> connectionstring with only default options (I have not found a
> document explaining how to fine tune the odbc driver).
> My connectionstring is :
> "DRIVER={PostgreSQL
> Unicode};SERVER=myserver;PORT=5432;DATABASE=mydatabase;UID=myuser;PWD=mypass"
>
> I assume that the problem is with the very large field size that
> is returned, but what should I change in my connectionstring to
> make this query run faster ?

I don't know it exactly. Could you try experiment with parameters
such Use declare/fetch or Server side prepare?
It could help me when you send me the mylog output (enable the mylog
output under Global and DataSource button).

I hope the data isn't confidental (they are listed in mylog output).

Regards,

Luf