BUG #2194: Start Script in the package doesn't work

From: "Shawn Dong" <dongshan(at)tiros(dot)com(dot)cn>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #2194: Start Script in the package doesn't work
Date: 2006-01-21 11:31:14
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 2194
Logged by: Shawn Dong
Email address: dongshan(at)tiros(dot)com(dot)cn
PostgreSQL version: 8.1.2
Operating system: Fedora Core 4
Details:

I install a completely new Fedora Core 4, and did not choose to install the
PostgresSQL while installing the Fedora.

1, I copy postgresql-8.1.2.tar.gz under /root/ directory, and then execute
the following commands:

--------------------------------
cd /root/
tar xvzf postgresql-8.1.2.tar.gz
cd postgresql-8.1.2
./configure
gmake
gmake install
adduser postgres
passwd postgres
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
su - postgres
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &
--------------------------------

2, And then I execute the following commands to setup PostgreSQL start when
system boot.

--------------------------------
cd /root/
cp /root/postgresql-8.1.2/contrib/start-scripts/linux postgres
install postgres /etc/rc.d/init.d/
chkconfig --add postgres

3, I reboot the computer, but PostgreSQL failed to start.

4, I check /usr/local/pgsql/data/serverlog, there is only one line :

su: /bin/bash: Permission denied

I think the start script from the package should running correctly.

If possible, could you let me know if you will solve this issue? and where I
can get the new start script?