Re: DNS: mirrors?

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DNS: mirrors?
Date: 2006-01-21 04:11:51
Lists: pgsql-www

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> Jan 20 15:18:30 lerami named[1409]: zone
>> mirrors.postgresql.org/IN: refused notify from non-master:
>> 200.46.204.2#2867
>
> That, however, is wrong. I don't know why neptune is sending out
> notifies - it's not the master. It's not even a slave for that zone!
>
> Also, I ran my test script. Seems there are problems with several of the
> listed nameservers!
>
> We have the following servers:
> ns.hub.org | 200.46.204.2
> ns2.hub.org | 66.98.250.36
> ns3.hub.org | 200.46.204.4
> ns-a.lerctr.org | 192.147.25.11
> ns-b.lerctr.org | 192.147.25.45
> ns1.pgadmin.org | 194.217.48.34
> ns2.pgadmin.org | 81.187.210.23
>

> Of these we have:
> ns1.pgadmin.org and ns2.pgadmin.org - don't resolve at all. Changed or
> should be removed?

'k, where are ns{1,2}.pgadmin.org being used?

> ns.hub.org - now has a different IP? But something is answering on the
> listed one? And it's the old one that sends notifies? Which one is
> right?
>
> ns3.hub.org - now has a different IP? Nothing answering on specified IP.
>
> This means that more than half the DNS servers have changed since this
> system was set up (and that was just a year ago! DNS servers are
> supposed to be stable :P), and not one of the changes were reported
> here... (Or if they were, nobody made sure the system was updated. But
> I'm fairly certain I haven't heard anything about it)
>
> Anyway. If I can get confirmation on how the above is supposed to be,
> I'll fix it up ASAP.

'k, I just did a major overhaul of our DNS this month ... 200.46.204.2 was
getting overloaded, and there was no easy way to move things around, so I
put the DNS servers on a floating IP (the IP doesn't change, it can just
float between servers) instead of tying it to a specific server ...

So, the IPs should all be:

?column? | data
-------------+----------------
ns4.hub.org | 200.46.208.251
ns.hub.org | 200.46.204.13
ns2.hub.org | 66.98.250.36
ns3.hub.org | 200.46.204.254
(4 rows)

Everything is in a bind-dlz database right now (except postgresql.org
itself, since I haven't quite figured out a clean way of doing that yet,
since its generated based on other data sources) ...

Primaary is 200.46.204.13, as the others are all slony slaves from it ...

----