Re: [GENERAL] Creation of tsearch2 index is very slow

From: "Steinar H(dot) Gunderson" <sgunderson(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Creation of tsearch2 index is very slow
Date: 2006-01-20 23:28:43
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 04:50:17PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I wonder if there is a way to improve on that.

http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~tmchan/slide_isaac.ps:

The diameter problem has been studied extensively in the traditional model.
Although O(n log n) algorithms have been given for d = 2 and d = 3, only
slightly subquadratic algorithms are known for higher dimensions.

It doesn't mention a date, but has references to at least 2004-papers, so I'm
fairly sure nothing big has happened since that.

It sounds like we either want to go for an approximation, or just accept that
it's a lot of work to get it better than O(n^2). Or, of course, find some
special property of our problem that makes it easier than the general problem
:-)

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/