Re: Page-Level Encryption

From: David Blewett <david(at)dawninglight(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Page-Level Encryption
Date: 2006-01-20 20:58:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Quoting "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>:

>>> This is true but in answer to your question you can use something like
>>> cryptfs. Note that you will loose performance.
>>>
>>> Joshua D. Drake
>>

>> I'm looking for something that runs *inside* of Postgres, at a
>> higher level than a loop-back encrypted volume. This way, it would
>> only be available when the database engine was running, and ideally
>> only accessible to an authenticated/logged in user.
> Nothing that I know of that would work without custom development.
> There are of course plenty of libraries.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

Just as an aside, this paper is rather interesting:
<http://people.csail.mit.edu/akiezun/encrypted-search-report.pdf>

Instead of needing the table to be decrypted for ordinary access via
SQL, they suggest a new method of indexing encrypted material. In it,
they talk about a system (Mofdet) they've developed, but I was unable
to locate anything online regarding it.

David