Re: RAID-50

From: Michael Crozier <crozierm(at)conducivetech(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RAID-50
Date: 2006-01-19 00:38:40
Lists: pgsql-general

> I once read in an O'Reilly book on tuning Solaris about RAID-50. That's
> right multiple RAID-5 disk sets each treated as a single logical drive then
> striped with RAID-0. The book said that if built correctly load balancing
> could make performance approach RAID-10 at considerably lower cost for VERY
> large storage arrays.
>
> Have any list members had experience with RAID-50?

There have been a few recent discussions on the pg-performance mailing list
that touched on RAID-50. I'm sorry, but I don't remember the conclusions (if
there were any). I'd suggest a peek at the archives.

Are you researching this for Postgresql Solaris? I would certainly appreciate
hearing about any of your findings, especially if this is for a
PG/Solaris/LVM combination.

Regards,

Michael