Re: [Gforge-admins] PgFoundry Move

From: Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com>
To: gforge-admins(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Cc: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Gforge-admins] PgFoundry Move
Date: 2006-01-17 18:13:18
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tuesday 17 January 2006 09:51, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Darcy Buskermolen wrote:
> >>
> >>80% of the Gforge admins are Linux guys afaik, which is why we need
> >>more FreeBSD help.
> >
> > Which is why at least 2 more FreeBSD guys (Stefan and myself) were
> > brought into the fold a while back. I can't speek for Stefan, but I have
> > remained quite on this while I absorb the implementation specifics of the
> > current setup.
>
> very true - it is always a bit difficult to get familiar with foreign
> boxes, but I think we are rapidly getting near a point where the current
> setup is understood and can be managed, upgraded and (likely) improved.

> >>We don't have this *really* in the case of most of the
> >>infrastructure, and this isn't in place for pgFoundry right now with
> >>Marc hosting, afaik. It is an issue we should be concerned with
> >>regardless of who's hosting. That and backup. I've tried to address
> >>what's happening (or not happening as I'm afraid) with backup before.
> >
> > Wether we have it today or not is one thing, but making it even harder to
> > do in the future without having a solid plan is even more troublesome in
> > my opinion.
>
> fully agreed
>
> > Along this note, I know resources have been made available by Stefan and
> > the company he works for to help address this.
>
> yep - I have offered in the past and that offer still stands for
> hardware/hosting/bandwidth (including decent network monitoring, remote
> console/power and people 24x7 on-call) for whatever the community might
> need (backup-server in europe or whatever).
> And no - I don't particularly care if the box is running FreeBSD or some
> Linux-Distribution(we have all of them - and Solaris,AIX and OpenBSD too
> - here and each of those has it's strengths and weaknesses).
> It's just that the current setup works on FreeBSD and afaik is not
> (unfixable) broken. Maybe we (I could do it if marc agrees) should just
> try to rsync the running vm to the "new" box upgrade it inplace to fbsd6
> start it up and test it and see what breaks.

I belive marc dod make this suggestion, and I can;t see any reason not to try
that now that we (you and I specificaly) are more familiar with how it all
goes together than we were a month ago. If I'm not mistakin Josh B had
pgfoundry.com available for pointing at the new box (if it's not already)
baring any objections from the rest of our cohorts, this sounds like a
reasonable thing to try, to see if infact it is this easy, or if there are
some unforeseen hickups along the way...