Re: PgFoundry Move

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, gforge-admins(at)pgfoundry(dot)org, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PgFoundry Move
Date: 2006-01-17 00:24:59
Lists: pgsql-www

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 04:13:51PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >I'm not sure why going with CMD means this has to be on linux.
> Because we are a Linux shop it has nothing to do with FBSD
> as much as it has everything to do with Linux. As I said earlier
> I can run FBSD, I prefer Linux.
>
> Having one OS in the facility greatly decreases costs in maintenance,
> administration etc.. and allows us to keep up to date on important
> things easier.

Sure, but the flip-side is that there really shouldn't be any need for
anyone on-site to need to touch the OS itself. For example,
distributed.net has run boxes all over the place for years and I think
we've only twice needed human intervention at the console due to
software, and that was only because we didn't have a hardware-based
serial console.

Of course I'm sure you guys have a bunch of OS and application level
monitoring you can do if it's on linux, but if the folks who are running
this stuff would rather roll that themselves I have no problem with
that.

Ultimately, everyone's motivation in OSS is different; if the folks
running pgFoundry enjoy doing so because it's on FBSD that's fine with
me, so long as stuff is working well.