Re: PgFoundry Move

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, gforge-admins(at)pgfoundry(dot)org, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PgFoundry Move
Date: 2006-01-17 00:02:07
Lists: pgsql-www

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 12:21:47PM -0800, David Fetter wrote:
> Command Prompt has people on call 24/7, and Josh Drake has mentioned
> to me that their absolute worst situation so far resulted in four
> hours of downtime.

And having dedicated people at the data center is very important, right
behind having a data center that's designed so that you don't need those
folks around to begin with.

I'm not sure why going with CMD means this has to be on linux. Surely
someone there could get a box up and running FBSD to the point where
someone remote could finish install and config. Or just ship a
pre-installed box there... While on the subject, I'm a FreeBSD guy as
well and can help with this stuff.

In any case, trying to run pgFoundry in a jail with a bunch of other
things on the machine (which from what I gather is the current state of
affairs) seems folly. I guess I can see using jail if it makes failover
easy (I've never used it myself, but I don't know of any reason why it'd
add appreciable overhead), but trying to run something that big in a
shared environment is pretty silly. If anything I'd say it's big enough
that there should be more than one machine hosting it, such as database
server, webserver, shell/SCM server.

I know there's a lot to be said for everything running on the same OS,
but the fact is pgFoundry has been sucking wind to various degrees for
months now; if we can't fix that quickly while staying on FBSD and we've
got offers to handle OS-level admin then we need to look at moving. What
we can't do is let this drag on for another year.