Trouble installing on XP home

From: "Dave M" <dave(at)consultant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Trouble installing on XP home
Date: 2006-01-15 01:18:49
Lists: pgsql-admin

I'm trying to install postgresql on my laptop, windows XP home edition sp2.
can't install as a service: I either have too much permission or not enough...

Here are the steps I performed and the generated messages:

1)I ran the install program (postgresql-8.1)
the data directory chosen is a folder located in a NTFS logical drive (F:\PostgreSQL\), the remainder of the drive being of FAT type.

error message: "Failed to run initdb: 1!"
the initdb log reads as follows:

The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgresusr".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

fixing permissions on existing directory F:/PostgreSQL ... initdb: could not change permissions of directory "F:/PostgreSQL": Permission denied

2) I ran the install again, but this time uncheck 'install as service'
I opened a Command Prompt and executed the following:

cd \program files\postgresql\8.1\bin
initdb --locale=C --username=postgres -W -A md5 -E UNICODE -D f:\postgresql

I get the following:

The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

fixing permissions on existing directory f:/postgresql ... ok
creating directory f:/postgresql/global ... ok
creating directory f:/postgresql/pg_xlog ... ok
creating directory f:/postgresql/pg_xlog/archive_status ... ok
creating directory f:/postgresql/pg_clog ... ok
creating directory f:/postgresql/pg_subtrans ... ok
creating directory f:/postgresql/pg_twophase ... ok
creating directory f:/postgresql/pg_multixact/members ... ok
creating directory f:/postgresql/pg_multixact/offsets ... ok
creating directory f:/postgresql/base ... ok
creating directory f:/postgresql/base/1 ... ok
creating directory f:/postgresql/pg_tblspc ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 10
selecting default shared_buffers ... 50
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in f:/postgresql/base/1 ...

Execution of PostgeSQL by a user with administrative permissions is not permitted.
The server must be started under an unpriviledged user ID to prevent possible system security compromises. See the documentation for more information on how to properly start the server.
child process was terminated by signal 1
initdb: removing contents of data directory "f:/postgresql"

3)so I try the following command:

runas /user:postgres cmd

then run initdb again as previously and get the following:

The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

fixing permissions on existing directory f:/postgresql ... initdb: could not change permissions of directory "F:/PostgreSQL": Permission denied'

I had no trouble installing on Win XP Pro on my desktop, but am stumped on XPhome.

Can anyone push me in the right direction?

Thanks for your time

:-)Dave